I'm especially glad to start with August because of the theme--AFRICA! My family has a special connection to a beautiful country there that will be the focus of TWO contests this week. I will be giving away a hank of yarn to two smart and creative winners . . . or the same person could win both!
CONTEST #1 Be the first person to answer FOUR questions about Africa correctly and you will win your choice of any hank or ball of yarn in my Etsy shop (free shipping of course).
CONTEST #2 Rename ETSY and I'll choose another winner of a free hank of yarn.
This handwoven basket was made in "The Gem of Africa."
The yarn is from an Ann Taylor sweater, 100% cashmere,
now available in my Etsy shop
FOUR QUESTIONS Be the first person to answer these four questions correctly: (Type your answers in a comment box.)
1. Name a certain country in Africa. Here are three hints:
- My son-in-law grew up there. (ok, not so helpful for most of you)
- A popular book series about a lady detective takes place in this country. HBO also produced a TV series based on these books.
- This country is called "The Gem of Africa."
3. What is this fictional detective's favorite drink? (Use the name that she calls it--not what it is called in America.)
4. In this country's language, the word for money is the same as the word for rain and blessing. What is this lovely word?
Since all those answers can easily be Googled, and since Phatties are so creative, I want to add another contest that offers a chance for some creativity, and that won't necessarily favor the first visitors to the contest.
RENAME ETSY In the book and HBO series mentioned above, the shop names (and the name of the detective agency) in this African country all have charming, unpretentioous, straightforward names. Names like:
The Last Chance Hair Salon
The Go-Go Handsome Men's Bar
The Double Comfort Furniture Shop
Rename "ETSY" in this style, and I'll award a free hank of yarn to the creator who, in my opinion, comes closest to the quirky, fun-loving spirit of these shop names.
The creative and knowledgeable (or Google-savvy) winners will be announced on Wednesday, August 18.